In the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak and the subsequent Movement Control Order by the Malaysian government, there has been a significant restriction of public gatherings with all but the most essential businesses ordered to shutter their doors until the end of the month. Fortunately, all the usual shopping portals, including Shopee are open for business.In a press statement, Shopee Malaysia gave several clarifications:
Shopee will continue business as usual as e-commerce falls under retail, which was categorised as one of the essential services.
- All products including daily necessities such as toilet rolls, wet wipes, face masks, hand sanitizers, instant noodles, cooking oil, canned food, coffee, rice as well as fresh produce such as fish, chicken, beef, vegetables and more will still be available for purchase on Shopee.
- At the same time, we are working closely with our partners, retailers, suppliers such as MYDIN, TESCO, NESTLE, AEON BIG, VINDA, FRESHTAP.MY and more, to ensure that there is sufficient supply to cater to Malaysians’ needs.
- On Shopee Mart, we hold stocks for close to 10,000 types of products. We will also be taking an additional measure for Shopee Mart by limiting the number of key and essential items that can be purchased by each user to ensure that all Malaysians, regardless of economic standing have fair access to their daily essentials. Additionally, Shopee will continue to provide next-day delivery in Klang Valley and Southern Malaysia for orders made on Shopee Mart by 10am daily excluding Sundays and Public Holidays.
- Shopee is working closely with our sellers and logistics partners so that precautionary measures such as disinfection of warehouse and vehicles, parcel sanitisation, and temperature checks are done for workers, drivers, and riders in the interest of safety.
- We will also continue to provide free shipping nationwide to ease delivery costs during this period. However, for orders that are placed with office delivery addresses, our logistics providers will deliver your orders after 1 April 2020.
Of note is that Shopee has also said that all their logistics partners – Shopee Express, J&T Express, Poslaju, DHL eCommerce and Ninja Van are operating as usual but that some delays are expected in light of the Movement Control Order and additional demand.
These are certainly interesting times indeed and both patience and understanding is needed to weather the storm. Be safe everyone!